Grown ups

South Australia: services

South Australia: services

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Have you just had a new baby?

Child health checks
The Child and Family Health Service (CaFHS) provides free health checks for children at key developmental ages between birth and five years. Children can also be seen at any age when parents have concerns, questions or issues. Contact the Service to make an appointment:

  • Phone: 1300 733 606 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-4.30 pm, Monday-Friday

Healthdirect Australia
This is a free telephone health information and advice service for people in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia:

  • Phone: 1800 022 222
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Parenting SA
Parenting SA provides over 60 Parent Easy Guides on a wide range of parenting topics from birth to 18 years. There are 14 guides specially developed for Aboriginal families and five guides in six languages for new migrant families. Parenting SA also provides free parenting seminars and first reading books for babies:

  • Phone: (08) 8303 1660
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Australian Breastfeeding Association - Breastfeeding helpline
If you're breastfeeding and need help, trained volunteer counsellors can give you reassurance, information and advice about breastfeeding and overcoming common hurdles to breastfeeding:

  • Phone: 1800 MUM 2 MUM (1800 686 268)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

Parent Helpline
This is a telephone information service for parents and carers with children aged 0-12 years. All calls are confidential, and the qualified staff can provide information about things like health, behaviour and relationships:

  • Phone: 1300 364 100 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days

Parenting and Child Health - Day service
Child and Family Health Service provides an intensive service where a nurse will spend some time, even a whole day, with parents at one of its centres. This service might include breastfeeding support, health information and tips on settling:

  • Phone: 1300 733 606 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-4.30 pm, Monday-Friday

Parenting and Child Health - Torrens House
This is a community residential unit for families with babies aged up to 12 months who need extra support for unresolved feeding, settling and sleeping issues. The first step is to talk about your situation with a child and family health nurse at your local child health centre:

  • Phone: 1300 733 606 (cost of a local call)

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer's home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for child care services near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (free call)
  • TTY: 133 677 then ask for 1800 670 305 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday
You can read more in our articles on getting started with child care, child care types and child care costs and Australian Government assistance. You can also find out more about good-quality child care.

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise getting along with others and to try new ways to play. They're good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact Playgroup SA:

  • Phone: 1800 171 882
  • Hours: 9 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday

Is your child ready for preschool?

The South Australian Government provides preschool education for children in the year before they go to school. If children turn four before 1 May, they can start preschool at the start of that year. Preschool programs focus on learning and socialising skills to help prepare children for school.

You can find out more about preschool and kindergarten in South Australia.

Playcentres might be available in small rural communities that don't have preschools. Playcentres promote children's early learning and development, offering activities facilitated by an early childhood worker for children under school age and their families.

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia - South Australia
Relationships Australia offers counselling, education programs, mediation services and other help for families and couples:

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Women's Information Service
This is a free and confidential information and referral service for women. It has information about community and government agencies supporting women throughout South Australia and can put you in touch with services in your area:

  • Phone: 1800 188 158 (free call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

You can also drop in to the Service's office:

  • Address: 101 Grenfell Street, Adelaide
  • Hours: 10 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

National Disability Insurance Scheme
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a national scheme to support people with disability and their carers. It's being introduced gradually throughout Australia and will replace the current disability support system.

In South Australia, people aged 0-65 years living with a permanent disability can contact the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) to discuss their eligibility for the scheme:

  • Phone: 1800 800 110
  • TTY: 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 800 110

People over 65 years who need support to live at home can contact My Aged Care:

  • Phone: 1800 200 422
You can find out more about the NDIS in South Australia, and get links to child and parent disability services.

Are you looking for parenting services in your state?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This is a directory of community services in Australia. Search for 'parenting' to find parenting support and other services in your area.

Find more links to parent and family services.