In Daddy's Home 2, stepfather Brad (Will Ferrell) and biological father Dusty (Mark Wahlberg) seem to have made amends after the feud that featured in the first Daddy's Home movie. They're busy showing off their family-raising abilities as 'co-dads'. But then their daughter Megan (Scarlett Estevez) announces in her school address that she hates Christmas because she has to go back and forth between homes. So Brad and Dusty decide to have a combined Christmas that includes family members from both sides.Brad announces that his good-natured father, Don (John Lithgow), will be joining them for Christmas this year. But then Dusty's estranged father, Kurt (Mel Gibson), also invites himself to the celebration. Trouble-making Kurt suspects that things between Brad and Dusty aren't as amicable as they seem. He engineers situations to reveal how the two dads genuinely feel about each other.
Family, parent-child relationships, divorce
Daddy's Home 2 has some violence. For example:
- There are some scenes that show mild fighting and wrestling.
- Megan accidentally shoots Kurt in the arm with a high-powered rifle.
- Don gets hit very hard with several snowballs.
- Megan aggressively shoots two turkeys with a rifle.
- The dads and grand-dads make violent threats against each other.
Content that may disturb children
In addition to the violent scenes mentioned above, Daddy's Home 2 has some scenes that could scare or disturb children under eight years. For example, in one scene Don lies motionless on the ground while a pack of wild wolves hover around and nudge him.
Younger children in this age group might be scared by some of the violent or disturbing scenes mentioned above.
Children in this age group are unlikely to be scared by anything in this movie.
Daddy's Home 2 has some sexual references. For example:
- Kurt is a womaniser. He talks boastfully about sleeping with women.
- There are references to prostitutes.
- A young girl says to a boy, 'Do you want to French (kiss) her?'
- Brad tries to have the 'sex talk' with Dylan (Owen Vaccaro).
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
Daddy's Home 2 shows some use of substances. For example:
- People drink shots and beer. They also talk about drowning your sorrows with alcohol.
- There's a scene where two children, Megan and Adriana, sneak eggnog, knowing that it contains alcohol. They get drunk and act inappropriately.
Nudity and sexual activity
There is no sexual activity seen in Daddy's Home 2. But there is some nudity, when Brad's bottom can be seen through dangling underwear.
The following products are displayed or used in Daddy's Home 2:
- Apple iPhones and iPads
- various vehicles including Toyota, Ford and VW
- SpongeBob Squarepants
- Alaska Airlines
Daddy's Home 2 has some coarse language and gender-based and sexuality-based insults.
Ideas to discuss with your children
Daddy's Home 2 builds on the themes of the first movie - the complexities of families getting along after divorce and/or separation. This movie seems to reach deeper into that theme by showing the good and bad sides of the relationships between the dads and their own fathers. Brad also reminds Dusty that although he and his dad had a bad relationship growing up, he could benefit from doing what's right for his own children.
Because of its violence, sexual references, coarse language and substance use, Daddy's Home 2 isn't recommended for children under 9 years. Also, we recommend parental guidance for children aged 9-14 years.
The main messages from this movie are about being a parent and working with others to do what's right for your children. This involves putting aside any personal problems you have as adults with each other.
Values in this movie that you could reinforce with your children include the importance of getting along with parents and step-parents, particularly if they're trying hard to do the right thing.
This movie could also give you the chance to talk with your children about real-life issues like:
- the dangers of using guns and high-powered rifles - for example, Megan's parents guide her use of guns but she easily makes a mistake and shoots Kurt
- the consequences of shoplifting - for example, an adult in the movie is featured shoplifting, but this is overlooked because she is physically beautiful
- the importance of not drinking alcohol as a minor and not stealing alcohol to drink.